,

Washington withdraws proposal for Aleppo solution – Lavrov

The United States has pulled back its proposal for the solution in the conflict in Aleppo, which includes the withdrawal of militants from the city, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said.

Lavrov
...

The United States has withdrawn its proposal for the solution to the conflict in the Syrian city of Aleppo, just as Moscow and Washington are preparing to discuss possible ways to end the war in the city, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said.

Lavrov said that the consultations, initially scheduled to begin on Wednesday, is canceled at this point, and the Washington is working on an alternative plan for the city.

“They have withdrawn their document and have a new one. Our initial impression is that this new document backtracks, and is an attempt to buy time for the militants, allow them to catch their breath and resupply,” Lavrov said.

The minister also said that there might not be any serious discussion with the US about the solution to the Syrian crisis as long as outgoing US President Barrack Obama is still in power.

“The thing that the Americans offered on paper and what we backed is now somehow not OK for them. It’s difficult to understand who makes decisions there, but apparently there are plenty of those who want to undermine the authority and practical steps by John Kerry,” Lavrov said adding that “the same thing happened with our agreement of September 9.”

RT wrote that “US Secretary of State John Kerry has intensified contacts with his Russian counterpart after Republican candidate Donald Trump won the presidential election in November.”

Citing US media, the news organization added that Kerry “is making last-ditch attempts to secure a place for rebel forces, which President Obama supported in Syria, in the future of the country.”

On Friday, Kerry submitted a proposal to Russia for an Aleppo settlement, which includes the withdrawal of militants in the city.

Russia and the US were supposed to discuss the particular details of the withdrawal of militants on Tuesday.

Written by Jim Lemuel Wilson

Jim Lemuel Wilson previously worked for The Manila Times and S&P Global Market Intelligence. He specializes in Middle East affairs and foreign policy. Contact Jim by email.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James testifies before the House Appropriations Committee, Subcommittee on Defense, Feb. 27, 2015, in Washington. James and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III met with the House members to discuss the Air Force's Fiscal Year 2016 President's Budget Request. (U.S. Air Force photo/Scott M. Ash)

Russia number one threat to US — US Air Force Secretary

aleppo syrian army

Syrian army takes five more districts in eastern Aleppo